Here we will perform Analysis Item #2.
- Is the same Greek word is consistently translated to the same word/clause as used in this verse.
- If it is not consistent, then how often is the chosen English word/clause used in other places as compared to this instance.
- This may also include other relevant analysis related to the translation of the Greek word/clause in question.
In summary, we are analyzing whether the translation from the Greek word to this particular English word is the most valid translation.
See Keyword – logos and review the definitions of this word.
This is one Greek word that many people are aware of because it is the Greek word for word in the phrase “Word of God”.
Consistency and Analysis of the Translation of Logos
Since logos is a multi-faceted word, it is less appropriate for us to analyze the consistency of how it is translated. In performing Analysis #1 for account, it became clear that translating this word is properly influenced by other words which may precede it and influence its meaning in a particular verse/context.
A simple review of the English words that logos is translated to from Greek is sufficient. Most of the important analysis information about this word in Hebrews 13:17 is found in Analysis #1 for account.
English Words Used for Logos
There are 330 occurrences. Logos is a multi-faceted word which takes on various senses. In the Biblical context, the the easiest way to understand it is through looking at the various English words it is translated into. This will not give use a robust and fully nuanced definition of logos, but it will be sufficient for our study of Hebrews 13:17.
There are too many occurrences of logos to provide all of them for review. A few representative examples will be chosen for each work with a larger number of occurrences to provide some verses to review and see how logos is used.
- #1 – (62%) 203 of 330 – word, words
- Matthew 7:24-26; John 1:1; Acts 13:48; Ephesians 5:6
- #2 – (12%) 40 of 330 – message
- Mark 16:20; Acts 2:41; Hebrews 4:2
- #3 – (5%) 18 of 330 – statement
- Mark 12:13; Luke 20:20; Galatians 5:14
- #4 – (5%) 14 of 330 – saying
- Matthew 19:11; John 4:37; 1 Corinthians 15:54; Titus 3:8
- #5 – (4%) 12 of 330 – account
- Matthew 12:36; Luke 16:2; Romans 14:12; Hebrews 13:17
- #6 – (2%) 6 of 330 – speech
- 1 Corinthians 1:5, 2:1, 2:4; 2 Corinthians 10:10, 11:6; Colossians 4:6
- #7 – (1%) 4 of 330 – report
- Matthew 28:15; Luke 5:15, 7:17; Acts 11:22
The remainder of the words have less than 3 occurrences and do not need to be explored here. The main idea(s) of logos are evident without considering these remaining words.